Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Beauty in Star Wars

Yes. You read correctly. Star Wars.


There is definitely a certain beauty in this franchise. I think there is inspiration to be found within any sort of epic storytelling. I can't tell you how many times I refer to Star Wars in everyday situations. Just ask my (probably slightly annoyed) family. Between the amount of detail, and use of imagination and technology, it's no wonder that the worlds of George Lucas made an appearance on my blog. I'm pretty happy it's sooner rather than later.


So! I'd like to start with the recurring theme of good vs. evil. While this tends to be a popular plot choice for many films (arguably almost all films, but that's a philosophical debate for a later time) I'm especially impressed with the added element of family ties and predetermined destinies. Our protagonist has to decide where his loyalties fall and at what cost. There's conflict. There's love. There's Yoda.

Let's go a little further with the good and the evil. Some days I can't choose between the Jedi Order, or the way of the Sith. Both require dedication and self discipline. I find the principals of the Jedi quite appealing. While it takes 100% self sacrifice, I think it's definitely worth it to have the combat skill and inner peace to know you're serving the galaxy. However, the Sith require no less dedication to the cause. And, while we're on the subject of the "dark side", I would think it just as difficult to surrender to one's own dark side, than to avoid it. Most fear their darkest temptations as much as they may want to indulge in them. Just think of Darth Vader's inner struggle...

Regardless of if I'm having a Jedi Knight day, or a Sith Lord day, I would never be without my beautiful light saber. How can you go wrong with such a gorgeous piece of weaponry?!


And, what can I say about the musical score? John Williams is a genius. Not only does he set the mood, he drives the entire film series. I have many numbers from the soundtracks on my iPod and I listen to them daily. Instantly, I'm sneaking around the Death Star, or I'm lounging in the Millennium Falcon. Truly awesome. I bow down to Williams flawless composing abilities.

Star Wars is a wonderful journey in which every one can learn from. Whether it's the importance of friends, the need to follow your destiny, or why droids may be pretty awesome to have around, these films always produce something to take with you. So readers, may the force be with you... and, remember:



No comments:

Post a Comment