Sunday, August 14, 2011

Beauty in Video Games

By no means am I a hardcore "gamer", however I do enjoy a day or two filled with nothing but bad soda and video games. While many find this unproductive, I am inclined to argue it's quite the contrary. Sure I'm sitting in the same position for hours on end, but my mind is on overdrive. I'm challenging my intellect, problem solving, and free of the real world.



I think video games have a lot to teach us. How many times have you reached a level, or a boss, and you just don't think you'll beat it? It's too hard. Too complicated. But, you keep going. You retry, and retry, and retry... then all of sudden, you've done it. You conquered the unconquerable! Was it a fluke? A mistake? (Don't ask questions! Just run!) Nope, you really did it. You didn't give up, and you won. That moment always makes me smile. It gives one such a feeling of accomplishment. What do we learn? Persistence pays off.



I'll never forget the first time I beat the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Is it cliche to say it changed my life forever? Link is one of my most favorite characters. Not only courageous, but always willing to lend a helping hand.

Being partial to the RPG (Role Playing Game) style of video games, I'm always impressed with the ways in which I have to use my brain. I'm not a big fan of having to solve problems in real life, but in a game I'm more than willing to be resourceful, and think outside the box. Plus, I get a sword. Who wouldn't want that?



We've also got combat games! I can not tell you the amount of memories I have from Super Smash Bros. Melee. Duking it out with your friends not only brings the laughs, it creates unforgettable moments. Video games: bringing people together since the late 70's! Few things are better than when you get in a particularly hilarious hit, and soda comes out your nose. It's difficult to have a care in the world when you're laughing so hard you can't breathe.


For the past two days I've been glued to this game. I've always been a fan of Lara Croft. She's brave, smart, and into archaeology. How can you go wrong?! I know it's a slightly older game, but it's fun level remains high. I just love running through the Louvre, and kicking butt in the Parisian ghetto. A good time!

All in all, video games not only bring me joy, they help me feel a little smarter. They give me memories I will keep with me for the rest of my days. I get a chance to live in a fantasy land and remember that sometimes... you just have to try once more. My video games make me happy. And, happy is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment