Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What's Cooking Wednesday?

I've recently started a new habit of cooking and/or baking something new on Wednesdays. And, while today's project didn't turn out awesome, I feel the need to share the experience anyway. I chose something, for normal people, that would be rather simple. However, I forgot how often I have problems in the kitchen. I'm really not very good. A number of factors contribute to my lack of culinary skill... lack of training, laziness, being too easily distracted... I could go on. Also, I have an uncanny ability to burn myself when cooking. If it's possible, it'll happen. But, I digress... Today's recipe was Oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookies.


I found the recipe here at Picky Palate. I encourage all of you to check it out. You won't regret it.

Now. Being a simple recipe, I figured I couldn't go wrong. Well, I could. And, I did. Remember the easily distracted problem I mentioned? Whilst mixing, I completely forgot about the "add two eggs" direction. Yeah... whoops. So, I'm mixing along, happy as a clam, and I'm noticing the consistency of my dough is rather dry. Too dry. So I think to myself, "Kim... you didn't really measure the butter super carefully, you probably don't have enough. Let's add a tad more, just to be safe".

Probably shouldn't have done that.

I did, though. It worked too! Until I remembered what I forgot. >Insert self loathing eye roll here< What do I do now?! I shrug my shoulders and add the eggs anyway. They'll be fine, right? In the oven they go.

No. No, no, and no. My cookies are flat, except where the Oreo is, and the edges are much too crispy. Very sad. Very sad indeed. Quite the cookie catastrophe. I haven't tried to eat one yet. I'm saving that adventure for tomorrow. Don't want to pack it all into one day. I'm sure they taste fine, they're just not that pretty. Very aesthetically unpleasing.

Oh, well. I tried. I may have failed, but I gave it a go. That in itself is a victory. Hopefully next week's challenge will be less... challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment